Meaty Steak Okra Stew
I stopped by my friend Maurice's convenience store today. My eyes spotted a farmer's basket full of the cute little okra, that are my favorite kind of okra, sitting on the counter. I wasn't sure if he had bought them from one of the local farmers or if they were for sale. Of course I asked him "Where did you get those cute little okra?" He didn't know because they were there when he got there. When I started to leave, he got a black bag and gave me some. I personally love okra. It may be a Southern Thang'. Most people think they only like fried okra but I think if you try any of my okra recipes (Chicken with Okra and Tomatoes, Lamb Okra Chickpea Stew, and Gluten Free Fried Veggie Trio with Zesty Feta Sauce) you will like it more ways than one.
I knew I was going to make Meaty Steak Okra Stew with this tender okra. I stopped at Johnson's Giant Foods in Attalla on my way home to pick up some meat because, they have the best meat in town. They have three locations in the area and they are a family owned and operated business.
We had a great dinner and plenty left for tomorrow. I am sure the flavors will be even better after a day in the fridge. This Meaty Steak Okra Stew is a super easy and quick dish. You could actually put it in the slow cooker in the morning and then add the okra when you get home for the day and let it cook while you make some rice to go with all that juicy goodness. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. Unless you absolutely positively hate okra, then don't tell me ;-).
- 1 Pound Sirloin Steak, cut into small cubes
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 15 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes or 1 pound fresh tomatoes
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Okra, cut into half inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoons Aleppo Pepper or Crushed Red Pepper
- Saute the onion in the oil over medium heat until softened.
- Turn heat to high and add the steak.
- Saute 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- At this point you could pour the steak and onions into a slow cooker and set to low for 4 hours.
- Add the tomatoes and water to the pan or crock pot.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add the okra, salt and pepper. (If you are using a crock pot, add these ingredients in the final 30 minutes of cooking.)
- Serve hot over Jasmine Rice. Afiyet olsun!